Paramount Pictures

Paramount PicturesFounded: 8 May 1912

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

On this day in 1912 the Paramount Pictures film studio was created by Adolph Zukor. It was originally known by the name Famous Players Film Company and formed as partnership with the Frohman Brothers, with a plan to offer feature films starring the leading actors and actresses of the time.

By the middle of 1913 Famous Players had completed five films, including their first production The Count of Monte Cristo (1913) starring James O’Neill, and in 1915 they established the Famous Players Fiction Studios at 5300 Melrose Avenue in Hollywood, one of the oldest studios to date.

In 1916 the company merged with producer Jesse L. Lasky’s Feature Play Company and the Paramount Pictures Corporation, formed by W.W. Hodkinson who had bought and merged several smaller companies. Zukor and Lasky bought out Hodkinson and renamed the company to form Famous Players-Lasky Corporation, which would later become Paramount Pictures Corporation.

Despite going into receivership in 1933 and the Supreme Court case United State vs. Paramount Pictures, Inc (1948), in which the decision was reached that film studios could not also own cinema chains, Paramount continued to go from strength to strength and today is the fifth oldest surviving film studio in the world.

Throughout it’s history Paramount has employed some of the biggest names in cinema such as Mary Pickford, Douglas Fairbanks, Rudolph Valentino, Marlene Dietrich, Mae West, Carole Lombard, Bob Hope, Bing Crosby and Gary Cooper.

It has also been responsible for some of the biggest films including:

On This Day…

 

 

eXTReMe Tracker